Brian performs research and consulting in social informatics with a focus on human computer interaction. Specifically, this research investigates implications of social technologies as they affect online conversation.
Areas of Inquiry
- Advances in online collaboration software and technologies
- Advances in teaching and learning technologies
- Pattern discovery and data mining of online conversations
Mobile App Development:
- “Measuring the Effects of a Dynamic Sentiment Analyzer within Online Social Networking Software During COVID-19”, 14th Annual International Conference on Education and New Learning Technologies (EDULEARN 22), July 5, 2022.
- “Approaches in Fake News Detection: An Evaluation of Natural Language Processing and Machine Learning Techniques on the Reddit Social Network,” 8th International Conference on Data Mining and Applications (DMA 2022), May 28-29, 2022.
- “Effects of recommendations on message quality and community formation in online conversations,” Education and Information Technologies, 26 (1), 49-68.
- “Real-Time Visualization to Improve Quality in Computer Mediated Communication,” Web Intelligence, v18(1), 2020.
- “Integrating Learning Analytics to Measure Message Quality in Large Online Conversations,” Proceedings of the 53rd Hawaiian International Conference on System Sciences (HICSS 53), January 7-10, 2020, Wailea, HI, USA.
- “Social Networking Strategies for Non-Profits,” CI Celebration of Service, Grand Salon, California State University, Channel Islands, May 4, 2017. Technical report available online at http://blog.socialxyz.com/social-networking/.
- “Converting Social Networking Software into Course Management Software,” SocialXYZ Blog Post created Jun. 28, 2017 and available online at http://blog.socialxyz.com/converting-social-networking-software-into-course-management-software/.
For more information, check out Blog @ SocialXYZ.com. To view a listing of publications, click here.
Brian also performs research and consulting in health informatics with a focus on human computer interaction. Specifically, this research investigates implications of personal healthcare systems as mechanisms to foster more healthy outcomes.
Areas of Inquiry
- Advances in personal health information management software (PHIM)
- Consent models in online information exchange
- Pattern discovery and data mining of personal health information
- “Determining Link Relevancy in Tweets Related to Multiple Myeloma Using Natural Language Processing,” Proceedings of the 55th Hawaiian International Conference on System Sciences, Jan. 2022.
- “A Recommender System for Healthy Food Choices: Building a Hybrid Model for Recipe Recommendations using Big Data Sets,” Proceedings of the 54th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, Jan. 2021.
- “Fitbit Tracking and Android OS Integration,” SAGE Student Research Conference, Broome Library, California State University, Channel Islands, May 5, 2018.
- “A Dynamic Analysis and Graphing of Key Medical Terms,” SAGE Student Research Conference, Broome Library, California State University, Channel Islands, May 6, 2017.
For more information, check out Health e-Services LLC. To view a listing of publications, click here.
D’you know how we nail the bad guys, Utah? By crunching data, good crime-scene work, good lab work,… ..and, most importantly, good data-based analysis. (Point Break, 1991)